Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bring on the rain

Our weekly delivery of milk from our dairy co-op came the other day. Mark poured a glass for me after dinner the other night.

The extra rich and creamy milk hit my mouth with a bit of a surprise. "Did you shake it I asked?" Since we buy raw milk straight for the dairy you must always shake it before you pour because the cream rises to the top.

"Yes," he replied.

I took another sip and was sure of the indulgence this cup held. Again I inquired, "Are you sure you poured a glass of milk? You know I have cream in there as well."

"It's milk. I'm sure." And then he sips, "Wow. That's good stuff."

Apparently, the recent rains have had an effect on the cows diet. Both our cow milk and goat milk have been especially rich this past week. And the twang of late summer goat milk is gone replaced by a richer texture and improved flavor. If you have not tried raw milk before, now is a great time.

All this fat and cholesterol will go straight to Archer's head! With me drinking this nutrient rich milk, my milk is now fortified even more with brain food for Arch!

Find a dairy near you that provides raw fresh milk from grass-fed cows at realmilk.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment