Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Open Book

As a Registered Dietitian my dietary habits should be an open book. After all why would you listen to me if you ran into me at the grocery store with a box of Coco Puffs in my cart? And to that fact that I have a food blog and there you have an open book into my kitchen.

I have spoken and written many times about the importance of making one's own food with fresh ingredients from local providers and as a result avoiding frankein-foods produced by the food industry. Which has left most of you curious about what we buy and eat. For the sake of transparency I thought I would post the few foods I do buy from the grocery store. Keep in mind this was my grocery trip for the next week or maybe more.

sprouted grain tortillas
onions
bell peppers
cheddar cheese
zucchini
apples
bananas
applesauce
apple cider vinegar
peanut butter
coffee
oatmeal

That's it.

And in my defense I must say that usually all our veggies come from our CSA but we have had too much snow and ice and as a result they lost most of their crop. Until the new seeds mature we won't have baskets of fresh produce. Hopefully it won't last more than 3 or 4 weeks.

And I was lazy and forgot to order cheddar cheese from Texas Daily Harvest last week. I also did not put forth the effort to make my own peanut butter.

All other ingredients for our menu come from farms or are made from scratch. Now I bet you want to know what exactly we are eating...

No comments:

Post a Comment