Monday, October 4, 2010

Butter 'Em Up!

I don't know about you but I have not had much luck making butter in a food processor. Maybe I'm just not patient enough or perhaps I just can't take that loud noise long enough for the butter to actually form. But the benefits of homemade butter made from farm fresh cream are worth my effort. Omega 3's from grass fed cows, fat soluble vitamins, and brain building cholesterol linger in the heavy cream awaiting transformation. Note to dairy friends: there are several of us that are willing to pay for farm fresh butter made from the raw cream of grass fed cows! Please fill this niche.

Until a dairy takes on this endeavor I must endure. Or put the children to work. Last week I set my cream out for 8 hours to sour (Think probiotics. Cultured dairy products are awesome, not scary. I promise). I then placed the cream in a clean glass jar and screwed the lid on tight. Very tight.

After that, I handed it over to the kids. They rolled it back and forth, took turns shaking the jar, and even fought over it. Did you know that making butter actually encourages crawling? Archer would play with the jar and as it rolled away from him he would go after it. Yet another great thing about butter! We even took it outside and rolled it around the yard. We had butter in no time at all!











I guess I should have taken a picture of the butter when we were finished, huh?

For the sake of food science I must tell you that the constant shaking and moving of the cream causes the fat globules to stick together and form butter. After your butter has clumped together place it in a clean glass dish. Pour a little water over the butter to wash it and then press the butter with a spatula, paddle, or wooden spoon to remove excess water. We store our cultured butter on the counter so it's ready to spread.